Saturday, May 1, 2010

French Toast, Balance and Forgiveness

This week got off to a great start. I was feeling awesome, busting out two days, feeling skinny, strong, and even a little sexy. And then Wednesday happened. Ill admit, I was feeling kinda crappy by the evening on Tuesday. A wee bit spectral, spacey and generally in that low carb fog. I pushed through my work out Wednesday morning but come breakfast, I was spent. I was feeling really hypo and most of my body ached, so I figured a healthy dose of some carbs and fat would help. This was my major rationalization to plow through a plate of French Toast, 3 breakfast sausages, 5 eggs, and maybe even a donut. Plus, I figured what is one meal out of the 20 plus I would eat all week? For the record, it was great. Over the course of the morning I got some energy back, my muscles started to feel better and I was smiling again. Carbs aren’t all bad after all.

It is Saturday now and I have learned one thing over the past few days: French toast is a gateway drug, don’t let anyone tell you different. What started as a simple temporary indulgence has lead to a full on carbohydrate extravaganza complete with white bread, cream cheese filled donuts, bagels and chocolate chip cookies. Additionally, if it is edible and has any surface area whatsoever I have found a way to slather it with peanut butter including but not limited to, carrots, chicken breasts and even a bite of a chocolate donut.

This is how it typically goes for me. A few hyper disciplined days, followed by a few not so disciplined days. Sometimes it bugs me that I cant stay consistent, other times, I more forgiving of myself. As with most things for me that tricky concept of “balance” still eludes me.

Food and mood definitely go hand in hand, maybe even two-fold over here. While there is so much consistency in our day to day here, emotions tend to ride on a separate track of up, down, over, under and around. Some days, super tough workouts and strict eating make me happy, other days, lazy cardio and syrup covered breakfasts do. I’m learning not to beat myself up over either and accept that each day is its own and my best effort for that day is all I can ask for.

No comments: